The purpose of this policy is the establish guidance on short message service (SMS)text messaging by members of the healthcare workforce and address security risks presented by SMS text Messaging.
- SMS or text message: A 160-character message sent over a cell phone or through a web-based interface to one or more cellphone recipients.
- Short codes: Five- or six-digit special telephone numbers used for sending SMS messages.
- Protected health information (PHI): Individually identifiable health information in any form whether oral, written, or electronic. Individually identifiable health information is information that: Relates to the individual’s past, present or future physical or mental health or condition; the provision of health care to the individual; or the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to the individual; and Identifies the individual or for which there is a reasonable basis to believe it can be used to identify the individual.
- Electronic protected health information (ePHI): Protected health information that is transmitted or maintained in electronic media.
- Subscriber: A person who opts-in to a program to receive text messages regarding their healthcare services.
- Client: A person who receives medical, dental, or other health care services
COMMUNICATING WITH YOU
By using your healthcare provider’s services and providing your cell phone number, you give permission to be contacted for treatment, payment, patient satisfaction, promotional, or other healthcare operation purposes via any of the telephone numbers, email addresses or other contact information you have registered or otherwise provided. This includes contact through a pre-recorded message, automatic dialing system, artificial voice, email message or text message. Contact may also be made by businesses helping your healthcare provider provide treatment, collect money that you owe, promote its products, or conduct its operations.
If at any time you receive a message from us and wish to unsubscribe, you may do so by following the instructions provided at the end of the message.
Messages Must Not Contain PHI: SMS text messages sent through a program for sending public health messages to subscribers must not contain protected health information.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Message frequency depends on user.
- This is a transactional program as texts will stop once service and account resolution is complete.
- Message and data rates may apply.
- Text STOPto short code xxxxx to cancel text message alerts.
- Carriers are not responsible for any delayed or undelivered messages.
- Alerts sent via SMS may not be delivered to you if your phone is not in range of a transmission site, or if sufficient network capacity is not available at a particular time. Even within a coverage area, factors beyond the control of your wireless carrier may interfere with message delivery, including the customer’s equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather. You acknowledge that urgent alerts may not be timely received and that your wireless carrier does not guarantee that alerts will be delivered.
This policy was last modified on 10/7/2020.
Winston-Salem, NC 27113-5238